TPS for Syria

Asked over 1 year ago - Irvine, CA

They extend the TPS for Syrian people today. My question is if my mom come now from Syria to stay with me can i apply for her TPS? They said Syrian might be eligible for TPS under the re-designation if he or she has continuously resided in the United States since June 17, 2013 and has been continuously physically present in the United States since Oct. 1, 2013. What does that mean?
Thank you

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, but it is not proper to come for purposes of seeking TPS.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  2. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This looks like a repeat question.

    Since she wasn't here on June 17 ... she can't apply.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  3. Natalia Polukhtin

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I assume, your mother cannot get to the US on the day of redesignation, I.e. June 17, 2013. Therefore, even if she subsequently enters the US using some sort of a non-immigrant visa, she will not be able to get a TPS protection. Further, there is may be an issue with misrepresentation at the time of entry.

    Nothing in this post shall be construed as a legal advice. If you need advice regarding your particular situation,... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Family based green card

Citizens and permanent residents may sponsor their relatives for permanent residence in the United States.

Danielle Nelisse

Green Card Marriage Interview

The immigration interview husbands and wives are required to attend in order to get the foreign spouse their green card (lawful permanent residence) through marriage can be very anxiety... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,182 answers this week

3,596 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,182 answers this week

3,596 attorneys answering