TPS for Syria

Irvine, CA |

They extend the TPS for Syrian people today. My question is if my mom come now from Syria to stay with me can i apply for her TPS? They said Syrian might be eligible for TPS under the re-designation if he or she has continuously resided in the United States since June 17, 2013 and has been continuously physically present in the United States since Oct. 1, 2013. What does that mean?
Thank you

Yes, but it is not proper to come for purposes of seeking TPS.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

I assume, your mother cannot get to the US on the day of redesignation, I.e. June 17, 2013. Therefore, even if she subsequently enters the US using some sort of a non-immigrant visa, she will not be able to get a TPS protection. Further, there is may be an issue with misrepresentation at the time of entry.

Nothing in this post shall be construed as a legal advice. If you need advice regarding your particular situation, please contact my office directly. This information is transferred without an intent to creat an attorney-client relationship.

This looks like a repeat question.

Since she wasn't here on June 17 ... she can't apply.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Recommended articles about Family law