Tourist driver, car accident without injury

Hi, i am tourist, i have a Brazilian driver license valid that i can rent a car with it but i was driving a car of my friend who lives here in US and i got in to a car accident i hit the front car bumper and the front car hit another car, nobody got injuries but the police came and told me that mine license is not valid on this state, gave me an ticket that says in 10 days i need to go to the court. How should i proceed with that? I will need an Lawyer? thanks

Tampa, FL -

Attorney Answers (3)

David P. Gilbert

David P. Gilbert

Criminal Defense Attorney - Tampa, FL

Officer probably wrote you a ticket for No Valid Driver's License, which is a misdemeanor criminal traffic offense. You need to set up the court date within 10 days or there will be a warrant issued for your arrest. If you hire an attorney, the attorney can file court documents to set up the court date and waive your appearance. In Hillsborough, most cases like yours can be resolved without you ever stepping foot in the courthouse. I have several similar cases pending in Hillsborough right now and I would recommend hiring an attorney for this charge. If you would like to discuss your case, you can call me for a free consultation at (727) 260-5754. answers provided solely for informational purposes. Answers are not legal advice and should not be relied... more
James Regan

James Regan

Criminal Defense Attorney - Fort Pierce, FL

You should go to court on the 10th and see if you are eligible for the Public Defender if you cannot afford a private attorney. Court Administration has Portuguese interpreters as well, so do not be afraid to go to court. The Public Defender can find out what the plea offer is, and if the State wants jail, you can always ask to postpone the case and hire a lawyer.


James Regan, LL.M, Esq.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The... more
Jacob Adam Regar

Jacob Adam Regar

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Encino, CA

I took the liberty of changing the Practice area to Speeding Ticket/Traffic so that lawyers that practice in that area of law will be more likely to view your question.

You can contact lawyers in/around the Tampa, FL area that handle traffic citation matters. If you have to appear in court it would be wise to speak to an attorney first to learn the full scope of your rights.

This website contains general information about legal matters. The information provided by Jacob Regar is not... more

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.