Tourist driver, car accident without injury

Tampa, FL |

Hi, i am tourist, i have a Brazilian driver license valid that i can rent a car with it but i was driving a car of my friend who lives here in US and i got in to a car accident i hit the front car bumper and the front car hit another car, nobody got injuries but the police came and told me that mine license is not valid on this state, gave me an ticket that says in 10 days i need to go to the court. How should i proceed with that? I will need an Lawyer?

thanks

I took the liberty of changing the Practice area to Speeding Ticket/Traffic so that lawyers that practice in that area of law will be more likely to view your question.

You can contact lawyers in/around the Tampa, FL area that handle traffic citation matters. If you have to appear in court it would be wise to speak to an attorney first to learn the full scope of your rights.

This website contains general information about legal matters. The information provided by Jacob Regar is not legal advice, and should not be treated as such. The legal information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Jacob Regar makes no representations or warranties in relation to the legal information on this website. You must not rely on the information on this website (including Jacob Regar’s response to your question) as an alternative to legal advice from your attorney or other professional legal services provider. No attorney-client relationship is created through the exchange of information on this website. If you have any specific questions about any legal matter you should consult your attorney or other professional legal services provider. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information on this website.

James Regan

James Regan

I concur.

Officer probably wrote you a ticket for No Valid Driver's License, which is a misdemeanor criminal traffic offense. You need to set up the court date within 10 days or there will be a warrant issued for your arrest. If you hire an attorney, the attorney can file court documents to set up the court date and waive your appearance. In Hillsborough, most cases like yours can be resolved without you ever stepping foot in the courthouse. I have several similar cases pending in Hillsborough right now and I would recommend hiring an attorney for this charge. If you would like to discuss your case, you can call me for a free consultation at (727) 260-5754.

Avvo.com answers provided solely for informational purposes. Answers are not legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. If you are seeking legal advice, contact a competent attorney in your local jurisdiction. Learn more about my practice at www.drivenlegal.com.

James Regan

James Regan

I concur.

You should go to court on the 10th and see if you are eligible for the Public Defender if you cannot afford a private attorney. Court Administration has Portuguese interpreters as well, so do not be afraid to go to court. The Public Defender can find out what the plea offer is, and if the State wants jail, you can always ask to postpone the case and hire a lawyer.

Sincerely,

James Regan, LL.M, Esq.
Http://www.defendme.net

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Florida. Responses are based solely on Florida law unless stated otherwise.