Today when I arrived home there was a business card from a Senior Investigator of the 17th Judicial District. What do i do?

Asked about 1 year ago - Denver, CO

The business card did not have any writing on it. It was just their blank business card.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carina M. Jenkins

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You should be very careful speaking with this investigator as he works for the prosecutors office. He/she may make it sound like they are only investigating a crime, but later use your statements against you. However, these investigators often looking to speak with witnesses, so they may believe that you were a witness to a crime.

    You do not have to return the call, but they may try to contact you again. If you think you may be suspected or tied to a crime, or are nervous about speaking with the investigator, it is advisable to avoid talking to them until you consult an attorney about the specific details of your concerns. If the investigator contacts you and you do not want to speak to them, you can tell them that or ask to have your attorney present.

    Please remember that legal matters are complex, and that even the smallest details can have a great impact on a... more
  2. Stephen Clark Harkess


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you are a witness to something, you may want to call the investigator to see what they need. If you have ANY reason to suspect that you may be the subject of a criminal investigation, you MUST get an attorney and you SHOULD NOT make any statement to any law enforcement officer or investigator under any circumstances.

    You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney... more
  3. Celia R Reed

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I would call and ask why the card was left. If you are being investigated, do not answer any questions. Retain your own counsel first. They may just want to rule out information or find out if you have knowledge of a case in which you are not a suspect. You won't know unless you call.

    Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,194 answers this week

3,059 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,194 answers this week

3,059 attorneys answering