Today I learned that my probabtion has been over as of last year.On job apps do i have to report that conviction?

Asked over 2 years ago - Santa Clarita, CA

Misdameanor-2007-petty theft
Misdameanor-2009-petty theft

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, unless you get the charges dismissed under 1203.4.

    Elliot Zarabi

  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Not if you have the convictions expunged (at least as far as private employer applications). Call me should you wish to discuss how to expunge your convictions.

  3. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If your probation is terminated, and your convictions are what you listed, you should be eligible to have both "expunged." In other words you file a petition with the court that convicted you, that asks the court to dismiss the case because you successfully finished probation. This depends upon your history, whether you've been arrested or convicted for other charges. It also depends on whether you finished probation without any issues -- arrests, late payments, no payments, etc.

    I'm talking about filing a petition for dismissal because on most job applications, having a conviction "dismissed" is the only way you can omit it from your job application. Usually the job app will have specific language about this. If you are applying for certain jobs like law enforcement, government, or childcare, then you may have to disclose arrests even if the charge ended up being dismissed.

    I notice you're in Santa Clarita. Many local Public Defender's offices have information on expungements. You may also want to speak to an attorney.

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Misdemeanor crime

A misdemeanor is a lesser criminal charge, such as trespassing or disorderly conduct, that is punishable by less than one year in prison and/or a fine.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

38,338 answers this week

3,953 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

38,338 answers this week

3,953 attorneys answering