To what extend would getting married help?

Asked over 3 years ago - Boston, MA

My boyfriend of 3 years was born in Turks and Caicos but his parents are Dominican. He was brought to the US at the age of 4 using a cousin's papers. My boyfriend is currently about to be 20 years old and is seeking professional help from lawyers to try to find a solution to his problem. I am a US Citizen and we are planning to get married and I offered to help him get his residency through me if it is possible. Non of the lawyers we have seen seem to know what he should do. What do you think are the steps he needs to take in order to fix his problem? Are there any British laws that could help him? Thanks.

The only identification document he has is his birth certificate which he used to travel to the Dominican Republic a few times when he was under 4 years old. Should he apply for a British passport or it would not make a difference right now?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

10

Answered . As long as your marriage is bona fide and your fiancee can demonstrate that he entered the U.S. as you state, he can adjust his status to permanent resident in the U.S. through your sponsorship.

Please see

2. Ismail Mohammed

Answered . You have raised some good issues here, but I would need to know some more information before I can give you a proper advice. I would be happy to sit down and go over his issues with you two and what can be done. My office is in Lowell, MA and will provide a free consultation if you're interested.

3. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . The first step is to retain an experienced immigration attorney to review all the facts in order to determine what can be done.