To remove conditions of green card,is it important to add the spouse name on the house,car, and business titles?

Asked 8 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

I am a business man and I have two small businesses,my wife from overseas, she got her 2 year green card a few months ago,she has been asking me to add her name to the title of the house,two cars and my two businesses.. I have asked my lawyer who is not an immigration one and he said I don't have too,I just wanna know is this important for removing of conditions of her green card next year ? need to know from immigration lawyer point of view..we have a joint bank account and a credit card together and i have added her name on the bills..also I just got her a credit card ..some ppl tell me its not important and others like her friends say she won't get the 10 year gc unless I add her name to ..please help thanks

1. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

1

Answered . You will need to consult with an immigration attorney. This was posted under the business category.

2. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

1

Answered . This question was just asked and answered today. It is not necessary if you have other convincing evidence of the bona fides it may not be necessary but it would be helpful as long as the timing is not going to raise a red flag. Also, you want to work obviously with an immigration attorney. However, since you are already asking this question to immigration attorneys and since you yourself realize your attorney who gave you advice may not be the best to ask since he is not an immigration attorney, it appears you already know this.

3. Ekaette Patty-Anne Eddings

1

Answered . It is advisable to consult an immigration lawyer to put your mind at rest.
    However since you have other convincing evidence of the bona fides of the marriage, it's not by any means critical to adopt other methods suggested by others.
    Having her name in your business has nothing much to do with the good faith of your marriage.
    Goodluck.
    Ekaette Lawyers @ (303) 513-9009.

4. Karin Wolman

Pro

Answered . It is important to document a shared life together, but that does not necessarily mean putting everything in both names - particularly your businesses - It is far more important to make sure you have the kind of documents that show an intent to be together in the long term, such as each of you being the primary beneficiary on the other's life insurance, being the designated decision maker named on a health care proxy, and having wills that name each other, etc. For some specific examples, it is less important to change the title to a car than it is to make sure that you are both listed as insured drivers on the auto insurance policy, and if you do add her name to the house, then make sure you also update your bank so that mortgage statements come addressed to both of you. These are general recommendations, not case-specific legal advice, and to determine what documentary changes are appropriate, you should consult directly with a qualified immigration attorney. Look at www.ailalawyer.com

5. Casey Wolff

Answered . No, you are not required to retitle your property for immigration purpose. I advise my married couples to: "Do the normal things that a married couple would do (eg. joint household checking account, travel together, car insurance showing all household drivers, have kids, file a joint tax return, etc.)" and keep a detailed paper-trail.

The legal standard for the I-751 Petition is proving a bona fide marriage from the beginning. Marital relationships ALL change over time as will your family documentation between the first green card approval date and your relationship two years later. However, I strongly recommend that you consult with an immigration attorney, not with an attorney who does not practice immigration law or who only dabbles in immigration law. It will be money well spent.

Good luck:
    Casey Wolff, Esq.
    Naples, FL USA