Skip to main content

To properly serve a 30 day notice using the posting and mailing method, is it required to mail the notice or just post?

Capitola, CA |

My landlord tacked a 30 day notice on my door. I have not recieved one by mail yet. Is this good defense for my respone due to improper service?
Also, I informed my landlord, in writing, of the uninhabitabke living conditions of the room I rent with a letter that he later riped up. I called the local police to express my concerns regarding his harrassment and I called the city building code department making record of my situation. It wasnt till later on that day that I recieved notice. Can the fact that I started this process the day of receipt of the 30 day notice contstitute retalitory eviction?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The notice must be posted and mailed to be effective. The date of mailing is the operative date. If you have lived there a year or more, 60 days notice is required. There could be local ordinances which require longer notice or limit the circumstances where notice may be given. See this link for CA's retaliatory eviction statute applicable to your situation:

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


Yes, it sounds like you have a valid "improper service" defense as well as a likely retaliatory eviction defense. Your original written complaints about the unit would be enough in themselves to constitute a protected action for which he cannot retaliate. Calling the police and building department just adds icing to the cake.

Kevin King, Principal- Essential Law Services. HTTP://ESSENTIALAW.COM, 415-562-6862. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended and should not be construed as legal advice for a particular case. This post does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author of the question answered. For specific advice about your particular situation, consult with me or another qualified attorney off-site.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer