To poor to pay seat belt ticket

Sartell, MN |

I am really going thru a hard time right now and I got this seat belt ticket I never wear mine in case I get submerged underwater. I make to much for all the state programs I work 40 hours a week and am trying to get a part time job. I didnt make enough and I used my credit cards to cover and it built up. Lets say I make $1300 a month but my bills such as car, mortgage and my main bills equal $1200 without including gas and food. I think I spend about $55 on gas and then the rest goes on my food budget which is mostly soup and poor people food. Even a payment plan is going to hurt me I think I might not have food for a few weeks. Thats why I make such a big deal out of this. I dont have anyone I know who will loan me money. would the court agree to jail time with no fine? or waive it

1. In the state of Missouri, you can request performing community service hours in lieu of a large fine. You might try requesting that. Good luck.

2. A seatbelt ticket is a petty misdemeanor. A petty misdemeanor is any offense that has a maximum fine of $300 and carries no potential jail time. (i.e. Speeding Ticket, Possession of Drug Paraphernalia, etc.) These offenses are not crimes. There is no right to an attorney in these cases and you cannot be appointed a Public Defender. However, having one of these offenses on your record may be harmful.

Because it is not a crime, there is no possibility of jail time. The courts are not allowed to impose jail time for petty misdemeanors.

Given your financial situation, you could discuss your situation with a hearing officer or the prosecutor. They may be lenient and reduce the fine if you can show your situation is that dire. However, I wouldn't count on it.

I would suggest you also start wearing your seatbelt. Although I disagree with the law myself, if the fine is likely to put that much strain on your financial situation, you may have to concede to the wishes of the State and wear your seatbelt.

If you would like to discuss your case further, please feel free to contact our office for an initial consultation at no cost: 612-217-0077

This information is general in nature. You should not rely on this information as legal advice, as each case is unique. This information does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are in need of legal advice concerning a particular matter, you are encouraged to contact us at your earliest convenience.

Traffic tickets topics