To C.Campbell,my only account I have is where my social security benenfit is directly deposited,no other money is deposited

Peoria, AZ |

I only have 1 ssi check monthly and there is never other monies deposited from any other place or person,so since that is the case,you are saying they cannot garnish the account because its ssi money only,no othere money is deposited to that account

If that is the case then you are correct. The money can not be garnished for any regular debts. It is best to inform the bank if a judgement is entered just to make sure that the account has no interruptions. If you are served for a court case, make sure you go so that the judge does not order a garnishment without realizing that the funds are exempt. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of repair.

Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by attorney Clint Curtis as general information and not specific legal advice. Specific advice can only be provided after a complete analysis of all information related to the asker. No attorney-client relationship is established by the use of the information provided. If you have additional questions please contact the law office.

My colleague is correct. Keep all other money out fo the account where SSI or SSDI money is deposited

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

If your money is "only" Social Security or SSI it is exempt from garnishment.

This response is meant to be information only and should not be considered to be legal advice. This information is not meant and should not be construed to be the formation of an attorney client relationship. I practice Virginia Workers compensation law and Social Security Disability law.