Tips on contract for Psychic consultations

I need advise on making a contract between a client and myself that we agree on services that will be provided for the amount cost is stated and non-refundable.
I notice that there are tons of people who consult psychics but then want their money back as a result that certain things did not come to pass.
I don't want to be put in that situation. I also want something that says the funds given was given from client with their full acknowledgement and they were not forced in any way or something like that.
Advise?.....

1. If you're going to have full disclosure, you'd get all your "clients" to admit that there's no such thing as a "psychic," you have no ability to foresee the future, you cannot guarantee any predictions in whole or part, and your services are for entertainment value only.

I realize you may not want to state all this, so you could hire a lawyer to draft a disclaimer that's long and legal enough for none of your customers, who desperately want to believe that there is such a thing as a psychic, to actually read. Then it would be their problem if you disclosed and disclaimed everything and they simply chose to ignore reality and agreed to patronize you anyway.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

2. You seem to be starting well.
    One approach is to consider what can go "wrong" and then provide for it in the contract.
    Don't make promises you can't deliver on or use words like "guaranty."
    You should find an experienced lawyer who will prepare something for you for a fixed fee, like one hour's time. (Depending on your location that could be from $200 - $400 per hour.)
    It is such an unusual business you might find someone you can afford. Make sure your agreement for fees with the lawyer is in writing. Bartering with a lawyer is probably a bad idea.
    I remember doing a release for a karate studio. I did it at a reduced rate because I love karate, and for the challenge of figuring out how a sport based on combat can limit its exposure to lawsuits for injury. Maybe you will find the same type of lawyer for your business. Good luck.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

3. I think Ms. Koslyn has the right perspective. When you have surgery, they tell you that you could die. It happens rarely with routine procedures, so you do it anyway. Tell people that you are actually unable to predict the future, the stock market, or the Superbowl, but you can weave a really mean story and make decent Green Tea. Then if they actually let you separate them from their money after informed consent, you won't be sued.

Attorneys are very competitive. Choose the Best Answer so we know who helped you the most.

Business topics