Time limits on suing the police , city or DA

South San Francisco, CA |

I want to sue either the city, police or DA for tampering with evidence or incompetent representation. I had two court appointed attorneys who prevented me from viewing the tampered evidence , even though I requested to do so several times from both of them. The evidence that was tampered with are videos of my arrested and detained. I was originally arrested in June of 2011 but cut a bargain April 2013. It has been a long time since my arrest but the tampered evidence has never been in my property. What are my options? Any one know the time limits I might be facing?

1. You cut a deal and admitted to the charge, you aren't going to get much traction. Videos of an arrest and detention don't seem real important unless there were constitutional rights violations like Miranda violations...

This is for general information only. Nothing in this information should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship nor shall any of this information be construed as providing legal advice. Laws change over time and differ from state to state. These answers are based on California Law.Applicability of the legal principles discussed may differ substantially in individual situations. You should not act upon the information presented herein without consulting an attorney about your particular situation. No attorney-client relationship is established.

2. The facts you present are too vague to express any advice about the substance of your lawsuit. The time limit for filing a lawsuit against a government entity for state law violations is first six months to file the Government Claim form which you can find on the internet and then time from the rejection letter, which will be disclosed to you in that letter. If your claim is for a violation of civil rights you have two years from the time of the event. You can look on the internet for forms and advice about what matters. Going it alone is very difficult and you are not likely to succeed that way. Also, cutting a deal says things about your position that are hard to overcome. Good luck.

The advice provided is in good faith but not a guaranty of accuracy under all circumstances.