Ticket marked as running flashing red light but actually rolled through stop sign.

Charlotte, NC |

My ticket is in Mecklenburg County, NC (Charlotte) and the correct "box" for "By failing to stop at a duly erected (stop sign) (flashing red light). G.S. 20-158(b)(1), (b)(3)." is checked. However, the officer underlined "(flashing red light)" when the intersection actually has a stop sign. Can I get out of this ticket for this reason?

1. Probably not. But you could certainly make that argument to the court.

This is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. This is for education and informational purposes only. It is always recommended that you contact an attorney with any concerns as each individual case is unique.

2. Does not look like a convicing reason to keep your hopes of winning it.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602 http://alexanderivakhnenko.com

3. I have seen this a lot, and should you take this to trial, the officer will most likely say that he meant to cross through, not underline. Sometimes the carbon copy pink sheet that you have is not lined up correctly, meaning that the real ticket in the court file shows that the "flashing red light" was struck through.
    It's not worth taking to trial on this issue, but hiring an attorney may certainly help you avoid having your insurance rates go up. Feel free to contact my office for help.

Although a response is provided to the specific question, there may be other facts and law relevant to the issue. The questioner should not base any decision on the answer and is specifically advised no client-lawyer relationship has been established. Put simply, seek the advice of competent counsel without delay to discuss the particular aspects of the case, factual scenario and historical background.

Traffic tickets topics