Skip to main content

Ticket in Washington State-Officer wrote ticket for wrong car (not car I was driving)

Redmond, WA |

HI-I got a ticket today (33 in a 25). Really inattention on my part. The Officer who wrote the ticket wrote the ticket for an Acura MDX which is not the car I was driving (its my wife's car, also on our Insurance policy).

Is there grounds for me to have the case dismissed on the basis that the citation as issued is incorrect?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Police officers can correct errors on speeding tickets at any time, up to and including the day of trial. It is possible that you could use the incorrect information on the ticket to show that the police officer was not paying attention and could have made a mistake regarding other important details, such as how fast you were driving. Consult a traffic law attorney in the city or county where you received the ticket. That attorney can advise you as to whether this argument would be successful in the court that issued the ticket.

The answers submitted on AVVO by The Rogers Law Firm, LLC d/b/a are for informational purposes only, do not constitute legal advice, are not intended to be advertising, and are not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up-to-date. The transmission of information on AVVO is not intended to establish, and receipt of such information does not establish or constitute, an attorney-client relationship. The reader should not act on the answers without first consulting legal counsel.


This may give you a basis for an argument against the infraction, but there are other factors that would need to be looked at. For example, the officer's narrative report may correct this error or there may be other indications in the report that would lead to a finding that the description of the vehicle is merely a scrivener's error (i.e. a "typo"). And as pointed out previously, errors in the notice of infraction can be corrected.

Your best bet for fighting this ticket (and winning) would be to hire an attorney who has experience with these types of matters.


You should consider hiring an infraction attorney to represent you. These attorneys are often able to use inaccuracies in tickets to get them dismissed.

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer