Ticket in Washington State-Officer wrote ticket for wrong car (not car I was driving)

Asked over 2 years ago - Redmond, WA

HI-I got a ticket today (33 in a 25). Really inattention on my part. The Officer who wrote the ticket wrote the ticket for an Acura MDX which is not the car I was driving (its my wife's car, also on our Insurance policy).

Is there grounds for me to have the case dismissed on the basis that the citation as issued is incorrect?

1. Adam Joseph Yanasak

2

Answered . This may give you a basis for an argument against the infraction, but there are other factors that would need to be looked at. For example, the officer's narrative report may correct this error or there may be other indications in the report that would lead to a finding that the description of the vehicle is merely a scrivener's error (i.e. a "typo"). And as pointed out previously, errors in the notice of infraction can be corrected.

Your best bet for fighting this ticket (and winning) would be to hire an attorney who has experience with these types of matters.

2. Jamila Adia Taylor

1

Answered . You should consider hiring an infraction attorney to represent you. These attorneys are often able to use inaccuracies in tickets to get them dismissed.

3. Andrea R. Rogers

2

Answered . Police officers can correct errors on speeding tickets at any time, up to and including the day of trial. It is possible that you could use the incorrect information on the ticket to show that the police officer was not paying attention and could have made a mistake regarding other important details, such as how fast you were driving. Consult a traffic law attorney in the city or county where you received the ticket. That attorney can advise you as to whether this argument would be successful in the court that issued the ticket.