Ticket error

Brandon, MS |

Will I have to pay court court cost If I choose to go to trial for a ticket?

1. Generally all traffic tickets have court costs.Think of these court costs as an additional tax on the fines paid for traffic offenses.Courts have you pay fines which goes into the general fund of the city(city court)or county(county court)but the court costs can be for various local and state agencies which support the local court(like the county law library,the sheriff's jail fees,and the like) which are paid to the state to be distributed to these agencies.I know of no traffic charge which does not have a court costs.

Legal disclaimer: This communication is for informational purposes only, and does not establish any attorney-client relationship, pursuant to the... more Legal disclaimer: This communication is for informational purposes only, and does not establish any attorney-client relationship, pursuant to the applicable Mississippi Rules of Professional Conduct

2. Yes, if you are convicted of the traffic violation for which you are charged. Court costs, or "standard state monetary assessments," are mandatory for traffic violations pursuant to Miss. Code Ann. Section 99-19-73(1).

Lance O. Mixon
    Flowood, MS

This communication is for informational purposes only, and does not establish any attorney-client relationship, pursuant to the applicable Mississippi Rules of Professional Conduct. Further, the information contained in this answer is not to be considered or taken as legal advice, and does not substitute proper, competent legal advice and representation from a licensed attorney for a legal matter.