Through a mediation agreement and now a final judgement, my fiance's ex gets their 15 year old most days.

Jacksonville, FL |

but the mother drinks and leaves the child home,even tho child knows she has a bedtime here, and responsibilities, she wants to live here. Its in her best interest for many logical reasons too. The judge hates the father, we have tried changing mediation agreement, changing judges, nothing has changed. How can the daughter be heard, her wishes granted and what does the court look for when changing custodial parents? We have no money left, for a lawyer, she has it all (military wife got everything!) what do we do?Does it help that we will be married, the daughter and I love each other and I work from home so I can cut 4 hours off her commute to and from school by driving her myself and she wont be unsupervised and I don't drink, her father socially only? Moms a drunk.

You would either need to get DCF involved, which may or may not work, as they don't like to get involved in custody battles and will only get involved if they believe it rises to the level of abuse or neglect, or you would need to get a therapist involved, which can be tricky and would almost certainly require the involvement of an attorney who specializes in custody work.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated.

Thank you, the more we look into this the more we find this poor child is going to be stuck with this woman until she is 18. Doesn't seem fair since, by all accounts, she is a pretty bad parent but it seems that being a woman makes you a good parent in the eyes of the law. Thank you for you help.

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft

I don't know that it is her gender. The baseline for being a parent legally is minimally adequate, not good. But keep the faith, sometimes things have a way of working out. Be there for the child, and you would be amazed what strength she may draw from that.

Thank you hearther, this girl is like my own and it breaks my heart and I am always there for her so hopefully she will be ok til she is 18. Did I rate you already? I would love to give you good ratings, you have been a real help.

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft

Well thank you so much. I don't think you have. Best of luck in this situation.

Posted a review without my first name showing in the area you review lawyers you have hired. Could not find one for adviceon this site. Thank you!

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft

Thank you!

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody