This is regarding real estate.

Bronx, NY |

Stepfather(deceased 10yrs) gave a friend a home mortgage in 1991 to a friend for $48,000.00. We were recently contacted for a letter of satisfaction---my mother was his hier. She does not have the paperwork for this loan and does not know if it was paid off. We cannot find any paperwork and I think stepfathers lawyler has since passed. We suspect the debtors stopped paying him when he got sick in the mid nineties with brain and other types of cancer. They cannot prove the loan has been paid. What can I do Please

Although your father was required to keep records. the burden will be on the friend to show you that they made full payment. Let them show you cancelled checks or receipts prior to giving them any satisfaction ofa mortgage.

Please note that you are not considered a client until you have signed a retainer agreement and your case has been accepted by us.Prior results do not guarantee or predict a similar outcome with respect to any future matter.This response is designed for general information only. Accordingly, the information in this response should not be construed to be formal legal, accounting, tax, or other professional advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. As such, it should not be used as a substitute for consultation with professional accounting, tax, legal or other competent advisers. Attorney Advertisement

Daniel C. Caro

Daniel C. Caro

I would also suggest that perhaps you check with the local county clerk to see if the mortgage was recorded. It should have been to protect your father's interest in being able to foreclose if payments were not made. By seeing the recorded mortgage, you should be able to determine when payments were to run to before being satisfied and you can then cross-check with mom's bank records to see if you have deposits to match. If not, then ask the friend who borrowed the money to prove he made payments.

You don't have to issue the satisfaction unless they can prove that they made payment. On the other hand, you have no documents to prove that a debt is owed, so if they sue you to clear the judgment, they will probably win.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Stewart & Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email -

You can get a certified copy of the mortgage, and if you're lucky, of the mortgage note, from the county clerk's office. As the other lawyers pointed out, they have to prove they paid the mortgage off. You might ask them for what paperwork they have --they should have a copy of the note and mortgage plus an amortization schedule. Be reasonable. If the mortgage should have been paid off when your stepfather was alive, or if your Mom received payments to a date consistent with the amortization schedule. You don't say if your step father's estate was probated or not. If it was, there might be something in the Surrogate's Court file to help. Also, if there was no probate or administration of your step father's estate, there would be a question as to who could sign the satisfaction of mortgage.

My answer to your question is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship,

Recommended articles about Real estate