This is my second mip offense how serious will my charges be and will the police contact my college?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Williamsburg, VA

Alright so I was at a party that the police busted and my girlfriend and I were breaking up, I was crying on the sidewalk when the police come over and ask for my age. I give them all the information they ask and they gave me a traffic ticket for underage possession of alcohol with a court date. I did not get a breathlyzer. Now my first offense I'm not sure what it was because I was taken to the hospital for non alcohol related purposes by the police, but I had to do 24 hours of community service and had to right a alcohol related paper. I did not go to court for my first offense. So will this be treated as a second offense and will my license get suspended? Also will I be needing a lawyer or will this not be that serious? Will the police contact the college about this infraction?

1. Ryan Michael Ramstad

Answered . I need more information. Do you not know if you were convicted of possession of alcohol previously?

This is a serious charge. It is a class 1 misdemeanor which means you can face up to a year in jail, pay a $500 fine, be given 50 hours of community service, and lose your license for a year. The penalty could be worse if you did have a previous conviction of the same charge.

The college could definitely find out about this incident.

I would definitely recommend you hire an attorney. This is something our firm can help you with.