This is a Real Estate Law question for the State of Texas. What do I still own.

Asked over 2 years ago - Dallas, TX

If you purchased a home with acerage cash and 6 months later you got an Equity loan which they would only value the home and 1 acre the home was on, and now you find yourself in a possible foreclosure. I know in TX that it is possible the loan is satisfied once the bank has possession of the home because it is an equity loan, but do I still own the rest of the land that was not included as the 1 acre the home or loan was used for?

1. Gary Alan Armstrong

2

Answered . Yes, if the loan is only on the house and one acre, you will still own the remaining 5 acres. And, yes, the Bank cannot come after you for any remaining balance on the home equity loan unless they can prove that you obtained the loan by fraud.

2. Steven John Clausen

Pro

1

Answered . The deed of trust needs to be examined to determine if all of the acreage or just a portion of it is security for the loan.