This is a civil litigation/debt collection question

Asked almost 3 years ago - Williamsville, NY

Am I responsible for judgements against a women that I am thinking of marrying. We want to get married, would I be responsible for the judgements she has against her? they are like 3 yrs old.Thank you

1. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

10

1

Answered . You are not responsible for pre-marital debts, but if you put money into a joint account, or buy a home together and both are in the deed, joint assets can be seized to satisfy the debt. While you may still be able to show that part of the money in the joint accounts is actually yours, it is a complicated procedure, and your assets will be "detained".

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

8

Best Answer

Answered . You are not responsible for her pre-marriage debts but the person who holds the judgment can restrain her assets such as a bank account and if you co-mingle you money with hers, you could have a problem.

3. Alfred M. Abel

Pro

6

Answered . You are not resonsible for her debts, but you may expose yourself and your assets to any judgments against her if you commingle your interests with hers, such as bank accounts, car titles, homes, and other property. If she were to pay them off before you married, or if she were to file a bankruptcy case and get them discharged that would eliminate the risk, but if she has judgments against her then you are marrying her with her debts.