Skip to main content

This is a civil litigation/debt collection question

Williamsville, NY |
Filed under: Litigation

Am I responsible for judgements against a women that I am thinking of marrying. We want to get married, would I be responsible for the judgements she has against her? they are like 3 yrs old.Thank you

Attorney Answers 3


You are not responsible for her pre-marriage debts but the person who holds the judgment can restrain her assets such as a bank account and if you co-mingle you money with hers, you could have a problem.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Mark as helpful

8 lawyers agree


You are not responsible for pre-marital debts, but if you put money into a joint account, or buy a home together and both are in the deed, joint assets can be seized to satisfy the debt. While you may still be able to show that part of the money in the joint accounts is actually yours, it is a complicated procedure, and your assets will be "detained".

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

10 lawyers agree




Best Answer ~Thanks

Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Jeffrey Bruce Gold


Please vote it best answer, so that I get the points. Thanks. Good Luck.


You are not resonsible for her debts, but you may expose yourself and your assets to any judgments against her if you commingle your interests with hers, such as bank accounts, car titles, homes, and other property. If she were to pay them off before you married, or if she were to file a bankruptcy case and get them discharged that would eliminate the risk, but if she has judgments against her then you are marrying her with her debts.

This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship. To get legal advice, consult an attorney in your local area or the area where the issue is located. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response is based on the limited facts provided, and without any independent investigation of the author. Given additional or different facts, the response would likely change. The attorney providing this response is only licensed in Pennsylvania, and you should contact an attorney in your jurisdiction if it is outside Pennsylvania.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree

Litigation topics

Recommended articles about Litigation

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics