Skip to main content

This guy sold stuff for me, & paid me after keeping 20%. now he is asking for my ssn or EID so he can issue me a 1099 is it ok?

Miami, FL |
Filed under: Short sales Tax law

So he is asking for 1099 because he kept 20% of the money and wrote me checks for the rest. he is asking for my ssn or EID so he can issue me a 1099.
I said i can give you an invoice. he sais no i want your ssn or EID. just want to know if thats safe?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It's safe, but if he sold stuff for you, it seems to me you should be issuing him a 1099.

The law is complicated and although the facts expressed may seem to be all that is relevant, there may be many other important facts to consider. Also, the law is constantly undergoing change, so what may be correct today, may not be accurate tomorrow. Only a full consultation with an attorney experienced or knowledgeable in the specific legal subject matter is likely to result in the optimal course of action. My practice has entailed more than a 30 year span of many real estate, personal property, and bankruptcy issues. Find out more about me at:


Selling your "stuff" would not be income for you assuming it was worth less than you bought it for.
On the other hand-his commission would be income to him.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.


If he sold assets for you then what you receive is only taxable income to the extent that what you receive is greater than your basis in the assets. So he may give you a 1099; but that does not mean that the gross proceeds are taxable income. You should review this with a licensed tax return preparer so that you do not overpay.

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer