This guy sold stuff for me, & paid me after keeping 20%. now he is asking for my ssn or EID so he can issue me a 1099 is it ok?

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

So he is asking for 1099 because he kept 20% of the money and wrote me checks for the rest. he is asking for my ssn or EID so he can issue me a 1099.
I said i can give you an invoice. he sais no i want your ssn or EID. just want to know if thats safe?

1. Rex Edward Russo

Pro

5

Answered . It's safe, but if he sold stuff for you, it seems to me you should be issuing him a 1099.

2. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

2

Answered . Selling your "stuff" would not be income for you assuming it was worth less than you bought it for.
    On the other hand-his commission would be income to him.

3. Bruce Givner

2

Answered . If he sold assets for you then what you receive is only taxable income to the extent that what you receive is greater than your basis in the assets. So he may give you a 1099; but that does not mean that the gross proceeds are taxable income. You should review this with a licensed tax return preparer so that you do not overpay.