This company won;t let me cancel my subscription because I entered a "financial agreement"

Lawton, OK |

In May of 2009 I (over the phone) signed up for 5 magazines a month for $50 for 20 months. I now no longer want the subscriptions. I do not have the time to read them and the $50 is now becoming a bit of a burden. I called the company to cancel and was told I could not end the subscriptions because I had entered into a "financial agreement" I was told in order to no longer receive the magazine I'd have to pay 489.02 which is the amount of what I'd continue to pay for the totol 20 months.

1. A contract is an exchange of mutual promises, yours was to pay them for magazines. I would, if I were you, ask for a copy of the contract that you signed. They can call it a "financial agreement" if they want. Different words for the same thing.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided in an office consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, with experience in the area of law in which your concern lies.

2. A contract is an exchange of mutual promises, yours was to pay them for magazines. I would, if I were you, ask for a copy of the contract that you signed. They can call it a "financial agreement" if they want. Different words for the same thing.