Third party vistation -Military member resident of Ohio looking to move a case to Ohio that started in VA nine years ago.

Asked over 1 year ago - Columbus, OH

I am military in '04 back from a deployment my parents looked to gain full custody of my son but was third party visitation instead custody was returned to myself. Is it possible to move the order to OH from VA my children and I have not lived in VA since 2008 and have not been residents of VA since 2005. Currently he flies monthly for a weekend at their expense. My son is currently in middle school and almost thirteen. My parents had no prior custody of my son before my deployment and the custody arrangement was only in case I didn't return. I have two other younger boys not involved in this arrangement. My oldest travels each month 27 days in the summer and every Christmas. I was just looking to find out the best way to make this more managable for him at his age.

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

2

9

Answered . I am sorry that you are going through this and thank you for your service. Removing an action from one state to another is very difficult unless all the parties have moved to that state, please work with a local OH attny and he or she will help.

2. Linda Juergens Lawrence

Pro

1

Answered . There is the potential to move this case to Ohio. This is a fact based issue and I will need more information from you to fully address your issue. Please contact me if you would like to discuss this matter further. Linda Lawrence 614-228-3664

3. Melissa Moriarty Gast

1

Answered . Moving a case from one state to another can be complicated and expensive, but the facts surrounding the underlying case in Virginia, including your parents' desire to keep the case in Virginia, will all contribute to whether or not the judges in Ohio and Virginia will agree to transfer your case. I would be happy to discuss with you at a free consultation (614.593.1986). Thank you for your service.

4. Harris Justin Brumer

Pro

1

Answered . The Uniform Child-Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (the UCCJEA), is a law designed to deter interstate parental kidnapping and promote uniform jurisdiction and enforcement provisions in interstate child-custody and visitation cases. The UCCJEA is a uniform State law that was approved in 1997 by the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws (NCCUSL). The UCCJEA governs State courts’ jurisdiction to make and modify “child-custody determinations,” a term that expressly includes custody and visitation orders. The Act requires State courts to enforce valid child-custody and visitation determinations made by sister State courts. It also establishes innovative interstate enforcement procedures.

The UCCJEA preserves exclusive, continuing jurisdiction in the decree State if that State determines that it has a basis for exercising jurisdiction. Such jurisdiction continues until the child, his or her parents, and any person acting as the child’s parent move away from the decree State. Under the UCCJEA, a court with initial jurisdiction; exclusive, continuing jurisdiction;
    or modification jurisdiction may decline to exercise jurisdiction on two grounds: inconvenient forum and unjustifiable conduct. Under section 207 of the UCCJEA, a court may, after taking into account specified factors, determine that another State is better able to decide custody. These factors include whether domestic violence has occurred and, if so, which State can best protect the parties and child; how long the child has lived out of State; where the evidence is located; and which court is most familiar with the case. The decision would be at the court’s discretion.

Recommend that you seek advice from a Family Law attorney in Ohio that has experience with the UCCJEA and child custody issues.