There was break in empoyment for 5 mths, same employer rehiring me -new I797B. H1B stamp valid till 2013. Do I need re-stamping?

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Francisco, CA

I had to terminate my employement in Dec 2011 and moved back to India immediately. Now I want to return to US with new I797B filed by the same employer. I have a H1B stamp for the same employer valid till next year. Do I need a H1B restamping in embassy given the fact that there was a break in the employment?

Thanks...your feedback is awaited.

1. Robert West

1

Answered . You need new stamp since the old H-1B is no good due to termination of employment.

2. Elizabeth Clare Surin

Pro

Best Answer

Answered . No, you can reenter on the still valid visa to work for the same employer.

3. James A. Bach

Pro

Answered . So far you have three answers: yes, no, and more questions.

More questions wins. This situation is very fact-specific, and you should consult the employer's attorney who handles its H-1B cases.

4. Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost

Pro

Answered . Did the employer not revoke your H-1B when you returned to India? Are you being offered the same position and same condtions of employment?