Skip to main content

There's a prior dwli conviction on rord found out that there's a dwli tickets that is two years old in a diffrent county.

College Station, TX |

What is the best thing to do? What happens if I just pay the fine?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Pleading guilty to the Dwli will most likely trigger an additional suspension for a "like period of time". Spending a little money on a lawyer now, may save you a lot of money in the future. Your lawyer may be able to negotiate a number of remedies, including a dismissal in exchange for payment of fees and deferred adjudication on the new DWLI, which will keep you from having a final conviction. Also, there may be other grounds for dismissing the case out right. Hope this information helps.Sent from my I phone.

My answer is based upon the limited amount of information available at the time of writing.I am a Texas DWI Lawyer. If possible, hire an attorney who is a member of the National College of DUI Defense, who is familiar with your jurisdiction. Jim Butler-, 713-236-8744

Jim Mitchell Medley

Jim Mitchell Medley


Listen to Mr. Butler. He knows what he is talking about.


If you simply plea "guilty" to DWLI and accept conviction, the conviction triggers additional mandatory suspension of your license. It could be years before you can legally drive again. Not to mention sur charges and insurance problems.

Get a lawyer and think about the big picture.



Is pleading no contest and paying the fine a conviction and is a occ

Jim Mitchell Medley

Jim Mitchell Medley


Yes, "no contest" is the same as "guilty." If you paid a fine you were likely convicted.

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer