Skip to main content

There is no contract involved. I'm considered a independent contractor for a road side assistant company. I was recently promise

New Haven, CT |

my hotel stay would paid for or helped. After moving there I didn't receive more money if anything my check was 25$ less. I spent $900 dollars on hotels and never got the money back. I informed my boss I would have to live in my car. After 15 days i developed a rash in between my legs from not showering which now turned into an infection. I informed my boss that I wasn't making what I was promised and I had no money left for food or hotel seeing I spent the money I had for that stuff after two weeks on the hotel. He told me if I left I would get fired. So I informed him I didn't eat for a few days and i dropped 15 pounds after 18 days of staying there. I manage to eat every other day using tip money. There anything I can do to get the hotel money back? Or seeing i'm thinking about leaving within the next few days so i'll most likely be fired is there anything at all i can do about this because he made it clear I couldn't anything and reminded me I would get fired if I left about 6 hours ago. On top of this mess one of the higher up employees who doesn't like my father has been threatening me if i talked to him for any reason he would have me fired. I get I didn't sign a contract but this doesn't seem right to me at all. I just want to go home even if i get fired. But I was told I wouldn't get my last check and if they did decided to give it to me it would be very Late.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Contracts aren't just in writing. There is a contract involved. Oral and "implied in fact" contracts (based on the parties' conduct) are just as enforceable as written and signed ones, although they're harder to prove and sue on.

Small Claims court may be your best option. Before you decide to sue, send the company a demand letter for amount they owe you to their corporate agent for service of process, which you can look up on the CT Secretary of State's website. Send it by certified mail, return receipt requested, or by FedEx or by registered email ( so they know you're serious and you can prove receipt. Give them a deadline, a week or 10 days from their receipt to pay you or you'll have to sue them. If they don't pay you by your deadline, follow through and sue. Your letter might also threaten to report them to the BBB, Ripoff Report, Yelp, Epinions, and to post this incident on your Facebook page.

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU COMMENT, EMAIL ME OR PHONE ME. I'm only licensed in CA. This answer doesn't make me your lawyer, and neither do follow-up comments and/or emails and/or phone calls, and you shouldn't expect me to respond to your further questions if you haven't hired me. We need an actual agreement confirmed in writing before any attorney-client relationship is formed. This answer doesn't constitute legal advice, and shouldn't be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer