There is mold in my apartment. My landlord says she doesnt have to have it inspected for health reasons. is that legal?

Asked over 1 year ago - Kansas City, MO

I was out of town for a month. The neighbor above me had a leak that caused damage they fixed. but they did not fix the mold growing in m closet. All of my clothes have been ruined and the apartment wont pay for damages to clothes or a hotel nor will they have the apartment inspected for health conditions or let me out of my lease before 30 days.

1. Leonard Komen

Pro

Answered . With our without a lease in Missouri, long held case law under "King v Morehead" states that with your rights as a tenant is an "implied warranty of habitability." your landlord has breached that warranty, which entitles you to pay the rent into court until it's fixed and then get a reduction, or just move without liabilily. A letter from an attorney to the landlord setting this out may get you quick relief

2. Ronald Jay Eisenberg

Answered . The language in your lease would be relevant. For example, does it state that Tenant shall have the right to quiet enjoyment and possession of the Premises? To establish a breach of a covenant of quiet enjoyment, evidence must be presented that shows that the lessee has been actually or constructively evicted from the leased premises. As noted by a Missouri appellate court on January 29, 2013 in G&J HOLDINGS, LLC v. SM PROPERTIES, LP, '"A constructive eviction occurs when the lessor, by wrongful conduct or by the omission of a duty placed upon him in the lease, substantially interferes with the lessee's beneficial enjoyment of the demised premises."