There is a default judgment pending against me in small claims court for a medical bill in dispute.

Asked over 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

What can I do to remedy the situation? Should I file a motion to set aside default? Are there any other options, considering I sought help through American Board of Physicians and through non-profit organization. None of my actions precluded collection agency from reporting me to credit bureau, suing and trying to collect despite the dispute?

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

3

Answered . Yes, you must ask the judge to vacate (cancel) the judgment against you. You must have a good reason for not going to your trial, like you were not properly served or you had a serious emergency.

You must file a motion no later than 30 days from the date the court clerk mailed you the Notice of Entry of Judgment (Form SC-130 or Form SC-200).

However, if you werenot properly served with the Plaintiff's Claim (Form SC-100), you have 180 days from the date you discovered there was a judgment against you to file a motion to vacate.

File a Notice of Motion to Vacate Judgment and Declaration (Small Claims) (Form SC-135):

http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/sc135.pdf

2. Pamela Koslyn

1

Answered . Please see my response to your other questions.

Don't waste any more time on Avvo or with your non-profits - get the judgment set aside.