There is a creek that runs along my property line. The owner on the other side states that they own the creek. Do they?

Waynesville, NC |
Filed under: Real estate

According to the Haywood County GIS mapping website It does not list the property owner as adjoining my property nor does it identify the creek as belonging to anyone. I was told when I purchased my home that I owned to the creek and did not have any issues until I cleared a small part of it that was grown up. I was approached by the said owners and told me they owned the creek and that there used to be a fence on my side. I have also been told that when a flowing body of water separates different properties that the line is to the center of it. Please advise. Thank you, John

I don't practice in your state but most legal description will base the corners and borders of a property on something and sometimes the middle of a stream is it and sometimes either side can be referenced. You should start your research with you title or deed there should be a description of where to start if not, you can hire a licensed land surveyor to help you. Your neghbor will have the same challenges you do so don't take advice from the other side of the creek.

Good Luck

Recommended articles about Real estate