Theft Charge over $50 from Walmart

Asked over 3 years ago - San Antonio, TX

My boyfriend and I got caught stealing from walmart (together a sum of $94) in San Antonio, Tx . The cops came, arrested us, and we spent the night in jail. The guy that caught us at walmart said they probably wont press charges if we don't get a letter in the mail in two weeks. Neither of us recieved the letter. We got court appointed lawyers, and on the papers it said that they would contact us. Neither of us has been contacted. I am 17 and he is 19. We got out of jail on PR bond and paid our dues. None of my papers have my court date written, however he has one that says Tuesday 17th at 8:30 AM. Is mine at the same time? And will the lawyer just meet us there? I've tried calling the municipal court and my lawyer, but the lines were busy/not answered. What can i expect to happen??

1. Maria Alicia Lackey

Answered . You need to contact your court appointed attorney immediately. Even if you have to just show up at his/her office, and ask to make an appointment to review your case with him or her. Do not just wait for them to contact you. Also, the gentleman from walmart is not the best source on whether charges will be filed. The state's prosecuting attorney will make that decision based on information gathered during investigation. However that office will likely not speak to you because you have representation. If you still cannot get a hold of your attorney, the clerk's office can get you information on your court date.

2. Cynthia Russell Henley

Answered . If you were arrested, charges were filed. If you were charged in municipal court then they must not have charged you with each others' theft but charged you each with only what you had personally stolen. (If the amount is $50 or under, it is a Class C misdemeanor. If the amount is over $50, then it is a Class B which could mean jail time.)

If you have not reached your lawyer or the court, then you need to go up to the courthouse and inquire about your court date. It could be that you only had a lawyer while you were in jail - I do not know this but it seems weird that you were given a lawyer but not given a future court date.

If you are on a PR bond, this means that you are being supervised by someone - like pretrial services. Contact them to inquire about your court date. If you cannot get an answer, I suggest you go to the courthouse Monday morning and get in line and find out when you have court. You do not want to take a chance on getting your free bond revoked.

3. John J. Ritenour Jr.

Answered . If you were arrested, released on a PR bond, and assigned a court appointed lawyer, you have a Class B misdemeanor case pending - potentially 0-6 months in county jail. You should have been given court appearance documents, but the Bexar County jail sometimes slips up on that. You need to contact your appointed lawyer immediately. Walmart will probably also send you a letter saying they won't pursue damages if you pay a certain amount. You also need to talk with your lawyer before you respond to that. Finally, If you each were given lawyers, you each were charged separately, so you are co-defendants. This "simple" shoplifting charge can have serious implications for you for several years down the road - do not blow this off.