Theft by unlawful taking (M1) charge. what does (M1) mean and possible sentence. Additional information below.

Asked almost 4 years ago - Delta, PA

I am a first time offender being charged with theft by unlawful taking. (M1). This is my first criminal charge, (4 speeding tickets prior). I stole 5 laptop computers from my place of education. When question by the school I denied everything, and returned the computers approx. 1 week later. When questioned by the police 2 day's after they were returned I admitted to the police everything that happened and was/have been fully cooperative through the entire investigation. I have two questions, what is the (M1) misdemeanor 1? The second is what is a possible sentence that I am looking at?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jason Kutulakis

    Contributor Level 15
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Crimes are grouped into three categories: summary, misdemeanor and felony. Misdemeanors have three tiers: 1st, 2nd and 3rd degree. A 1st degree misdemeanor has a maximum punishment of up to 5 years of incarceration and a fine. Assuming your information to be correct, you will be eligible for a deferred adjudication program for first time offenders called Accellerated Rehabilitative Disposition (ARD). If you complete ARD successfully, your record will be expunged.

    You should hire an attorney right away.

  2. Carina Laguzzi

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . There are three degrees of Pennsylvania, first degree being the most serious. The maximum sentence you could receive for an Me is 2 1/2 - 5 years incarceration. However, based on your account and assuming you have no record, you should be eligible for the ARD program. You will be placed on a period of probation and once you successfully completed it, you can move to have your record expunged.

  3. Adam D. Zucker


    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . You may very well be eligible for ARD but do not assume that you are. Some counties have specific requirements about what is and is not an ARD eligible crime. I have seen folks denied on theft above a certain dollar amount as well as theft from a School so make sure to consult with an attorney in your area before making any decisions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,836 answers this week

2,722 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

21,836 answers this week

2,722 attorneys answering