The whole two year time period for K1 visa.

Asked over 1 year ago - England, AR

I'm a british citizen who is going to meet his girlfriend soon. Thing is that as we are both financially unstable (both students), I may not be able to meet her for another two or three years. We want to get married once we're both financially stable but the thing that is getting to me is the whole "you must have met in the last two years". What if we cannot meet in person in the next two years? Will stop me from marrying her?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You cannot marry her unless you are together.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleague. In a sense, you do engage in speculations about something, which may or not come to fruition.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  3. Andrew Marino Bramante

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you are wondering whether you will qualify for a K-1 visa 2-3 years from now after you finish your studies and see each other again, I unromantically suggest that you wait 2-3 years to see if you still want to marry her. Lots can happen in 2-3 years.

    Andrew M. Bramante, Rosner Partners, 216-771-5588. Free telephone consultation. You should always consult with... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,025 answers this week

3,207 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,025 answers this week

3,207 attorneys answering