The USCIS doesn't ask much at all for an O-1 extension, why all lawyers want resend all the docs with new reference letters?

Asked 10 months ago - New York, NY

The USCIS clearly states:
The petitioner must request an extension of stay to continue or complete the same event or activity by filing the following documentation with USCIS:

Form I-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker
A copy of the beneficiary’s Form I-94, Arrival/ Departure Record
A statement from the petitioner explaining the reasons for the extension

Shouldn't the above stuff be enough?

Additional information

Clearly I am not interested in running a survey, my question is "shouldn't those 3 quick requirements be enough for an O-1 extension or are you aware of something else requiring to resubmit all the documents again including new reference letters?"

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No one can answer this quesiton. AVVO is a general information forum not "all lawyers" survey company.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more
  2. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No, it's not. It's only the starting point. Your chances for obtaining an O-1 extension without the professional assistance of a highly experienced immigration lawyer our next to zero. Period. You don't believe me? Try and you'll see.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that... more
  3. Robin Jean Gray


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You need to rely on the attorney for his or her expertise. Doing it on your own is very risky.

    You may contact the Law Office of Robin J. Gray for further legal advice. Office (610) 689-0877; Fax (610) 689-... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.


There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,877 answers this week

2,901 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,877 answers this week

2,901 attorneys answering