Skip to main content

The sewer at my house backed up by law what is the landlord responsible for in regards to clean up and fixing the plumbing

Richland, WA |

the landlords have not been helpful in any way,we have a bug problem they will not spray the sewer backed up yesterday and they would not get someone out yesterday to fix it so we were forced to stay somewhere else, and now they are making our neighbors ( we live in a duplex) clean all the mess this made in their house. Can't the health department get involved, I am also sure that this house has mold. I do not want to continue to live here but who do I contact to get proper documentation in case they will not cooperate with us

Attorney Answers 1


You have a remedy. It is in the RLTA. RCW 59 18 060, RCW 59 18 085 and RCW 59 18 115. You start with written notice to your landlord of the issue with the sewer. You specify exactly what is wrong, and you ask them to fix it. They have 24 hours to respond. If they don't respond, contact the building department, give them a copy of the letter you wrote to your landlord, and demand an inspection within five days. If the building department agrees with you, and advises your landlord to fix the sewer, you will be able to get your landlord to pay you to move.

I have written a legal guide on this subject, and I hope you read it and I hope it helps. However, haring off to the Health Department or the EPA will not do anything for you. You don't need the landlord to cooperate, you need to know what the law requires. Hope this helps. Elizabeth Powell

Mark as helpful

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics