The school's financial aid office gave me grants and loans after I submitted my FAFsa application with a mistake in it.

Asked 10 months ago - Pennsauken, NJ

Now they want the money back and said that I will be reported with a record on my history because I provided misinformation. Why did they give me money in the first place if I was not eligible. I also indicated that I graduated in 2013 in my application, they should have seen that and determined my qualifications before giving me the grants.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Randy Jay Harvey


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . You are not going to win this fight. If there was an error on your application you should return the money that you were not entitled to. Government entities that err in paying out public funds can collect those funds back with interest. It would be unfortunate if you were to have a blemish on your academic transcripts as a result of an error. Clearly they erred, however you cannot benefit or gain an unfair advantage due to the schools mistake. You should consult an educational attorney as soon as possible and attempt to work out a repayment plan that doesn't result in a blemish on your academic records.
    Best of luck.

    NO LEGAL ADVICE GIVEN. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as... more

Related Topics

Nondischargeable debt and student loans

Student loans cannot normally be discharged in bankruptcy. Unlike most other types of debt, student loans are nondischargeable--except in cases of hardship.

Education law

Education law focuses on issues in schools and universities, such as appealing suspensions and expulsions, or updating IEPs (Individualized Education Programs).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,620 answers this week

3,568 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,620 answers this week

3,568 attorneys answering