The school's financial aid office gave me grants and loans after I submitted my FAFsa application with a mistake in it.

Asked 8 months ago - Pennsauken, NJ

Now they want the money back and said that I will be reported with a record on my history because I provided misinformation. Why did they give me money in the first place if I was not eligible. I also indicated that I graduated in 2013 in my application, they should have seen that and determined my qualifications before giving me the grants.

1. Randy Jay Harvey

Pro

Answered . You are not going to win this fight. If there was an error on your application you should return the money that you were not entitled to. Government entities that err in paying out public funds can collect those funds back with interest. It would be unfortunate if you were to have a blemish on your academic transcripts as a result of an error. Clearly they erred, however you cannot benefit or gain an unfair advantage due to the schools mistake. You should consult an educational attorney as soon as possible and attempt to work out a repayment plan that doesn't result in a blemish on your academic records.
    Best of luck.