The police ask me question about my friend who was arrested. I told them my friend did the crime. now i want to change my mind.

the questioning was done at my house, I didn't sign anything. I found out what happen and now I want to change my mind and I don't want to say anything else to the police. what can happen to me if I refuse to sign a statement?

San Diego, CA -

Robert David Richman

Robert David Richman

Federal Crime Lawyer - Minneapolis, MN

You are not required to sign a statement. If subpoenaed to testify in court, however, you will be required to do so. If you refuse, you could be held in contempt and sent to jail until you change your mind. If you give testimony different from what you told the police the first time, you could face either a perjury charge or a charge of providing false information to a police officer. You are a little late in your desire not to get involved.

Bradley R Corbett

Bradley R Corbett

Criminal Defense Attorney - San Diego, CA

You are not required to sign a statement.

David Philip Shapiro

David Philip Shapiro

"Change your mind" = possibly perjure yourself if called to testify in court? Hire a locally experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you to make sure you don't continue to dig yourself deeper into this mess.

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555