The plaintiff is responsible to pay the attorney fees from Defendant in a non married custodial battle?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I am the plaintiff on a case of join custody, the attorney for Defendant tell me today she may file for me to pay for her services, I was never married with the Defendant and we been dealing with this issue for months, my question is I can be responsible for her fees? I ma doing this pro sec ,The Superior court 137 can be apply here against me the Plaintiff? Is that even possible?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Judy A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Section 508 of the IMDMA provides that, under certain circumstances, you may be responsible for payment of attorney's fees. However, just because counsel seeks contribution to her fees does not automatically mean they will be awarded. Additionally, you have not provided any facts which would indicate a violation or compliance with Supreme Court Rule 137. if you have not already done so, you should review that rule so that you are very familiar with it, as well as section 508 of the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act.

  2. Raymond George Wigell


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Assuming that the court has jurisdiction it can, consistent with the rules order a party to contribute to the other party's fees.

    Of course, every answer is based on the question asked and requires a more complete context. This answer should... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now