The owner of an annuity dies, the beneficiary of the annuity does not respond ,she has signed the certified letters sent to her.

Columbus, OH |

The beneficiary has signed 2 certified letters stating she is the beneficiary,has been 1 year,What happens to the money then. Me and my brother are the deseased only sole beneficarys . Shouldn't we get this money

The annuity benefits belong to the designated beneficiary. You will have no rights to the annuity benefits even if the designated beneficiary dies and the claim has not been paid out. In that case, the claim will become an asset of the designated beneficiary's estate.

At death of the annuitant, an annuity passes to the named beneficiary of the annuity. If there is no beneficiary designation, it passes to the estate unless there is default language in the annuity contract that says something else.

I'm not sure I understand your question. If you and your brother are beneficiaries and have filled out the claim forms and provided a death certificate, you should have received the check. There is something in your fact pattern I don't understand.

Mr. Huddleston is an Ohio-Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust & Probate Law, with offices in Columbus and Dayton, serving client families and private business owners throughout Ohio. He may be contacted directly by phone toll-free at 888.488.7878 or by email CLH@HUDDLAW.COM. Mr. Huddleston responds to Avvo questions as a public service to help educate and provide general guidance to questioners, but his responses are not legal advice and do not create an attorney-client relationship.

Wills and estates topics