The Official California Legislative Information Website has a list of all the California codes. What if something isn't listed?

San Diego, CA |

For instance, when I look up the Penal Code, it goes from 12022.95 and then skips to 13000. What about all the ones in between? Are codes that are missing no longer in effect? I was looking for specific code PC 12400 but I'm also wondering in general. Thank you

1. Not all numbers are used. Some are left out to make room for statutes that are passed later. Sometimes numbering jumps because the area of law changes. Sometimes statutes are repealed.

If you are looking for a specific code and it doesn't exist, the statute may have been renumbered or perhaps you are incorrect about the number of the statute you need.

twitter.com/MikaSpencer *** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the deadline for filing your claim, you will lose the opportunity to pursue your case. Please consult with an experienced employment attorney as soon as possible to better preserve your rights. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer provides information on Avvo as a service to the public, primarily when general information may be of assistance. Avvo is not an appropriate forum for an in-depth response or a detailed analysis. These comments are for information only and should not be considered legal advice. Legal advice must pertain to specific, detailed facts. No attorney-client relationship is created based on this information exchange. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, and can appear before administrative agencies throughout the country. She is eligible to represent clients in other states on a pro hac vice basis. ***

2. In my experience, the online listing you are talking about is accurate. The leginfo site does not have certain codes, for example rules of court and local ordinances. But it does give you access to the codified statutes. Often, you will see a gap in numbering. That does not mean that a section is missing, it just means that there is no longer any code of that number or that there never was.