The lease states that there will be no ants inside the house and owners will spray for ants. Is this cause for a broken lease?

Anaheim, CA |

There is an ant infestation in the house not due to food but coming out from the ceiling electric outlet. Can I op out if my lease with getting my safety deposit back in full because the lease has been breached?

1. I assume you mean "security deposit." Ask your landlord to spray. The recent wet weather may cause ants to come into your unit. IMO, a single event of ants in your unit is not grounds to break your lease.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

2. No, not likely. While the landlord has a duty to provide a habitable premises, an ant infestation would probably not constitute sufficient grounds for you to terminate your lease and move out without financial consequences to you. The landlord would be entitled to deduct from your security deposit for any unpaid rent, per Civil Code section 1950.5. You should advise your landlord of the ant issue and allow a reasonable time for the landlord to take care of it.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This Avvo.com posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.

Landlord-tenant law topics