The lease states that there will be no ants inside the house and owners will spray for ants. Is this cause for a broken lease?

Asked over 1 year ago - Anaheim, CA

There is an ant infestation in the house not due to food but coming out from the ceiling electric outlet. Can I op out if my lease with getting my safety deposit back in full because the lease has been breached?

1. Michael Raymond Daymude

Pro

4

Answered . I assume you mean "security deposit." Ask your landlord to spray. The recent wet weather may cause ants to come into your unit. IMO, a single event of ants in your unit is not grounds to break your lease.

2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

4

Answered . No, not likely. While the landlord has a duty to provide a habitable premises, an ant infestation would probably not constitute sufficient grounds for you to terminate your lease and move out without financial consequences to you. The landlord would be entitled to deduct from your security deposit for any unpaid rent, per Civil Code section 1950.5. You should advise your landlord of the ant issue and allow a reasonable time for the landlord to take care of it.