The lease agreement was never fully completed and sent in. Am I in the wrong? What can I do? Thank you so much!

Syracuse, NY |

Hello,

My name is Nicholas C. I currently live in Syracuse, New York and I was going to be attending school in Buffalo, NY but my aid situation didn't turn out like I had hoped for. Now I will be attending school in Syracuse. I had a lease agreement with a student apartment complex in Buffalo signed and sent to them. I recieved a phone call from them, that the lease agreement was not fully filled out and they would have to send me a new lease agreement. After I recieved the new lease agreement I learned I will not be attending school in Buffalo. Today I recieved this email from the student complex after telling them I will not be attending Buffalo.

"Nicholas you are still liable for the lease per your agreement with us on June 6th, 2012. You must pay the rent in full or find someone to

1. Dear Nicholas:

I hope all is well. Usually, in New York State, a tenant owes no obligation on a lease agreement until the lease is fully executed by landlord and tenant, and a fully signed copy of the lease and keys are given to the tenant.

If this is a for a dormitory room there may be other conditions which apply only to rooms in a dormitory. If the lease is for student housing there may be other rules.

For a better opinion, show the lease to a lawyer.

Based upon your stated facts, the lease process is not complete.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.