The lawyer quit.

Asked over 2 years ago - Philadelphia, PA

He quit because he was holding a firearm for a detective to pick up to be tested which we voluntarily bought in without a warrant because we know it was not used in a crime and It's been six days and the detective never picked the gun up but the detective kept saying " I will pick it up today or tomorrow" and he did not come so the owner went to the attorney to get his gun which is registered and he is licensed to carry and the lawyer said "if u take it I quit" Can he do that when we paid him $500 to retain him and the only thing he done was make calls for the gun to be picked up from the detective, talk to us on the phone if we had a question and saw us in his office twice first, when he got paid. Second, when the gun was bought to him. Should he be reported to the Bar Association?

1. Stuart M. Address

Pro

7

Answered . I just answered a question of yours on this topic with virtually no factual information. I now see another question with more facts. I suspect the lawyer said "I quit" if you take the gun because even though you say it was not used in the crime he has an ethical obligation to preserve evidence, even if given to him in confidence. If you wanted to take the gun back, the lawyer may have been concerned about either spoliation of evidence or being part of a conspiracy after the fact. I would have done the same thing. As for the $500, I suspect he spent at least that amount in the work and time he put in for you. You can always report him but I doubt it will go anywhere.

2. John Leif Fossum

6

Answered . Hiring a lawyer does not mean you own the lawyer. $500 probably does not buy much of that lawyer's time. The lawyer can quit the case, if the lawyer provided less than $500 worth of time, then the lawyer might owe you a small refund. If the lawyer provided more, you may owe the lawyer more money. It does sound like you need a lawyer.

3. Patrick Francis Lomax

1

Answered . It sounds like the lawyer has contacted the Detective several times. Given he has spent time on that, the time he has spent consulting you, and any other investigation into the matter, it sounds like he has done enough work to justify his fee. It is also my experience that police detectives are busy, and picking up the gun might not be a priority if he is working another open case.

4. Thomas G. Wilkinson Jr

1

Answered . Prior answer is accuarate. Any complaints are submitted to the Disciplinary Board, not the bar association in PA.