The judge said to come back with lawyer, I'm low on finances but he said I couldn't get a public defender, what can I do?

Lombard, IL |

I called some lawyers and the prices are higher than I can afford and this is the second time I'm back in court with my son he is a juvenille and the case is for a misdemeanor theft.

1. Where does your son have court? Was a bond posted? Some lawyers will work with you on a payment plan. A small retainer, then monthly payments for the balance. The prices depends if you want a plea, bench trial, or jury trial.

2. You really just need to keep making calls. There's a whole lot of lawyers out there and some work for less than others. But, beware that there are sometimes reasons some lawyers charge far less - they can be inexperienced or not have enough work in their chosen field to keep busy. If you do keep calling, you'll eventually find someone who will work with you on a reasonable fee basis. But, you're also going to have to think about how much trouble your son is getting into and to what degree you are willing to keep bailing him out. That's an issue far beyond this forum, but it's going to be at the heart of what you're willing to spend on an attorney. Good luck.

Please be sure to mark the best answer to your question. My answers are general and do not form an attorney-client relationship. I'm happy to talk to prospective clients in my areas of concentration and geographical location.

3. Where does he have court? Did you post a bond? I have payment plans.

4. The court has obviously determined that you do not quaify for appointment of the PD. You need to keep contacting criminal defense attorneys as fees do vary widely. A misdemenaor theft in juvenile court should not be too expensive for an experienced attorney to handle. Most of us provide free consultations. www.galivanlaw.net

5. Find an EXPERIENCED juvenile defender who will work with you on a payment plan. AVOID ANY LAWYER WHO ASKS IF BOND WAS POSTED BECAUSE ANY LAWYER WHO KNOWS JUVENILE COURT WOULD KNOW THERE IS NO BOND/BAIL PROVISION IN JUVENILE CASES

This answer is provided for informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Follow-up with a licensed attorney who regularly practices in this field is strongly recommended.