The Judge just ordered my husband to pay me support because he beat me so bad that I can't work and have to under go another

surgery. Do I have to pay taxes on that support because he injured me. I was working with no physical problems before he beat me up.

1. If what you're receiving is "spousal support", and not repayment of your medical bills, loss of past earnings, etc., then it's taxable to you. Take the court's order to a tax preparer or accountant to make sure.

2. I agree with Richard, but that does not prevent you from suing him for assault and battery. I do both personal injury and family law.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.

3. I agree with my colleagues. Consult a certified public accountant and a personal injury attorney.

This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship. This means that I am not your lawyer and I will not appear in court simply by posting on this site. If you would like me to represent you, you must call my office, sign a written fee agreement and pay a legal fee, assuming I do not have a conflict of interest and you are in Southern California. If I respond to your question and you have follow up questions by posting on this site, I may or may not reply. This information should not be construed as legal advice. I am offering my opinion. Each person's case is unique, and that's why you should contact a lawyer over the phone for a consultation for your situation. That's why you should not rely on any response that an attorney posts on this site. I am licensed in California. I am not licensed in another state or country. I do not practice law outside of California.

Alimony topics