Skip to main content

The Judge just ordered my husband to pay me support because he beat me so bad that I can't work and have to under go another

Los Angeles, CA |

surgery. Do I have to pay taxes on that support because he injured me. I was working with no physical problems before he beat me up.

Attorney Answers 3


If what you're receiving is "spousal support", and not repayment of your medical bills, loss of past earnings, etc., then it's taxable to you. Take the court's order to a tax preparer or accountant to make sure.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


I agree with Richard, but that does not prevent you from suing him for assault and battery. I do both personal injury and family law.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


I agree with my colleagues. Consult a certified public accountant and a personal injury attorney.

This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship. This means that I am not your lawyer and I will not appear in court simply by posting on this site. If you would like me to represent you, you must call my office, sign a written fee agreement and pay a legal fee, assuming I do not have a conflict of interest and you are in Southern California. If I respond to your question and you have follow up questions by posting on this site, I may or may not reply. This information should not be construed as legal advice. I am offering my opinion. Each person's case is unique, and that's why you should contact a lawyer over the phone for a consultation for your situation. That's why you should not rely on any response that an attorney posts on this site. I am licensed in California. I am not licensed in another state or country. I do not practice law outside of California.

Mark as helpful

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics