Skip to main content

The irs is garnishing my wages

Boston, MA |

the irs is taking $332.00 from my paycheck bi weekly........need help

Attorney Answers 4

  1. The quickest and easiest way to release a wage garnishment is to contact the IRS and get on a payment plan. If you agree to pay a certain monthly amount (based on either your ability to pay or amount owed) then the IRS will release the levy against your wages. You may wish to speak to a qualified tax attorney to assist you in obtaining an installment agreement.

  2. I agree that getting on an installment agreement could be the quickest way to getting the wage levy released, but the question is, can you afford an installment agreement? How much do you owe in taxes? For which years? What is your income situation? Do you have any dependents? What are your living expenses? Those are all the questions I would ask you in order to determine the best possible solution. Perhaps you could be a good candidate for an offer in compromise; perhaps not. My advice is this: Contact the IRS and begin a dialog with them - with our without professional help. If you do nothing, the garnishment will remain. The IRS could also file a federal tax lien against you (if it has not been filed already). So in my opinion, the worst thing you could do for yourself is ignore the IRS. Call them; start there. If you need help, contact a tax attorney. You should call a tax attorney to describe your situation in detail and get some more specific advice as to what your options are. There is no cookie-cutter solution that would be good for all taxpayers, so an attorney would need to know the details of your situation before advising you.

    My response to any question on this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice, and it does not establish attorney-client relationship. I invite you to contact me and welcome your calls and emails. However, contacting me does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to me until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

  3. As my brother and sister of the bar have both said, contacting the IRS and setting up an installment plan is the quickest but may not be the best way to stop the garnishment. The first question I always ask is whether you owe any interest and penalties to the IRS? If you do, then you may also want to speak to a bankruptcy attorney about a Chapter 7 to discharge the interest and penalties and then workout a payment plan, or look at a Chapter 13 bankruptcy case to pay off the principal interest free over 5 years. There are also other options such as trying to settle the debt with the IRS through an offer in compromise or even seeing if you can be put into uncollectable status. With so many options which all depend of the specifics of your case, you owe it to yourself to speak to a good consumer debt attorney today.

  4. Keep in mind, you will need to have all of your returns filed to set up an installment agreement or stop the levy by other means. If you have unfiled returns, you need to focus on getting them prepared first.

    Christopher Larson
    Insight Law

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics