Skip to main content

The I-751 process and good faith marriage

Waco, TX |

I am stuck in a dilemma where I do not have any proof of bonafide marriage and it seems like I am going to end up in front of the judge. I did enter the marriage in good faith except that we did not live with my ex wife for too long and I did not get a chance to obtain joint documents. I did not provide anything to the uscis when trying to remove the waiver, and now I am in removal proceedings. Am I going to lose my green card through the immigration judge because I do not have anything to provide for him or her either and my wife assumed that I married her for the green card and she said last year that she reported me to immigration. Will the uscis provide her accounts to the judge (her report).Have you had anyone pass through the immigration judge without any proof of bonfide marriage.

Attorney Answers 3


You need a consultation with an attorney not a post on this forum. The general answer, if you cannot convince relevant individuals your marriage was not spurious you will lose your status and IJ will have very shaky grounds to rule in your favor.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

4 lawyers agree


While you may have been "legally" married, if you do not live together you are not considered married for the purpose of "immigration" benefits. Further, you must be able to prove that you had a legitimate marriage. If you cannot, it is likely you will go before the Immigration Judge.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


To prevail, you must prove that your marriage was bona fide.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics