The house that my ex and I had has now been paid off and I want to do a quit claim deed to take my name off the title.

Asked about 2 years ago - Phoenix, AZ

I have remarried since and so my name is now different then what is on the title. Is this going to be a problem when we fill out the quit claim deed? The divorce papers did say he was getting the house and he paid it off.

1. Robert H Nagle

6

Best Answer

Answered . The key is to make sure the quitclaim makes clear that the person signing below as "Mary Lamb" was formerly known as "Mary Sheep". This way, when title companies search the public records in the future, there will be a clear chain of title.

2. Patrick S Sampair

Pro

2

Answered . Actually, your name could have been removed from the title by Quit Claim Deed even before he paid it off.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "HELPFUL" or "THE BEST ANSWER," PLEASE MARK IT SO AS AVVO AWARDS THE ATTORNEY POINTS. All attorneys providing answers on this site are donating their time and not financially compensated.

3. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

2

1

Answered . Yes it should not be any problem at all. The quit claim should have been done when the divorce took place. Be sure it is not just signed but also recorded.