The house I'm renting is now owned by the bank. Can I get my deposit back from the "LL"?

Asked 12 months ago - Boca Raton, FL

I have not received official notification from the bank that they own the house. The only thing that I know is that since June 25 the bank is the house owner, I know all this info from the REO agent the bank assigned. He stated that he is waiting for the bank to offer me "cash for the keys". I have been in the house 7 months now, we decided to move out. Can I ask the LL for my deposit and can I still accept the cash for the keys from the bank? I know I have up to 90 days to stay in the house, I read(I might be wrong) that during that time I don't have to make a payment so I can still save money to move out.

1. Carol Lynne Zimmerly

Pro

Answered . Dear "The house I'm renting":

Look up the ownership of the real property on your county's property appraiser website.
    The "Owner of Record" is the true owner.
    It sometimes takes a few weeks after the sale for the property appraiser's office to make the change.
    You can also look up the foreclosure case online to see who the successful bidder was at the foreclosure sale.

You should pay rent to the true owner. If you are unsure of who that is, keep the money aside and be ready to pay it upon demand.

You can write a certified letter to the former owner demanding your security deposit back since your contract with him is now over. If he doesn't return it, you can sue him unless he can prove that he sent the money to the new owner.

Yes, you can still accept a "cash for keys" offer if the bank offers it to you.

Banks don't always tell the truth, so check out the real story at the property appraiser's office website. Good luck! If you are unsure, see a local lawyer.