The house i am renting does not have a deadbolt in the main front door. Can I withold rent if the mgr refuse to install?

Asked 7 months ago - Cupertino, CA

The manager said no to my request for refund for two late payment penalties $210 each, upon me knowing that the main door does not have a deadbolt. They told me the late penalty has nothing to do with the missing deadbolt.
Aside from the late penalty issue, can I withold rent if deadbolt is still not installed this coming due day on the 30th?

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Answered . You might if you meet the requirements of California Civil Code section 1941.3. This is fact specific. For example, the exterior door provision does not require the installation of a new door or gate where none
    existed on January 1, 1998.

Your potential remedies are set forth under Civil Code section 1941.3, subdivision (c).