The house i am renting does not have a deadbolt in the main front door. Can I withold rent if the mgr refuse to install?

Cupertino, CA |

The manager said no to my request for refund for two late payment penalties $210 each, upon me knowing that the main door does not have a deadbolt. They told me the late penalty has nothing to do with the missing deadbolt.
Aside from the late penalty issue, can I withold rent if deadbolt is still not installed this coming due day on the 30th?

1. You might if you meet the requirements of California Civil Code section 1941.3. This is fact specific. For example, the exterior door provision does not require the installation of a new door or gate where none
    existed on January 1, 1998.

Your potential remedies are set forth under Civil Code section 1941.3, subdivision (c).

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This Avvo.com posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.